Chemical Engineering- Career Overview
What is Chemical Engineering?
Chemical Engineers change raw materials into valuable products on an industrial scale.
- Chemical Engineering Touches Everything
Chemical engineers work in manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, healthcare, design and construction, pulp and paper, petroleum & petrochemicals, food processing, specialty chemicals, microelectronics, electronic and advanced materials, polymers, business services, biotechnology, and environmental health and safety industries, among others.
- What are Some Specific Job Functions of Chemical Engineers?
- Chemical Engineers are Concerned with PROCESSES and PRODUCTS.
- Making chemicals and pharmaceuticals
- Processing polymers and foodstuffs
- Energy generation
- Wastewater treatment
- Environmental clean-up
- Inventing a new process
- Designing the equipment for a process
- Operating a process
- Improving a process
- Chemicals - petrol, ammonia, methanol
- Polymers - polythene, PVC, synthetic fibres
- Consumer products - shampoo, washing powder
- Foodstuffs - ice cream, chocolate, beer
- Pharmaceuticals - paracetamol, penicillin
- Choosing a product for an application
- Designing the product
- Improving the product
Sources: University of Cambridge, American Institute of Chemical Engineers, Texvyn.wordpress, etc.